Last updated 8th January 2013
plantdatabase.co.za is owned by Plant Database Ltd., registered in Ireland number 477995.
Use of service
Registered and non-registered users
You understand and agree not to use the Plant Database web site to:
- Post content or initiate communications which are unlawful, libelous, abusive, obscene, discriminatory, or otherwise objectionable.
- Use the Plant Database service for any illegal purpose, including but not limited to conspiring to violate laws.
- Falsely state, impersonate, or otherwise misrepresent your identity, including but not limited to the use of a pseudonym, or misrepresenting your current or previous positions and qualifications, or your affiliations with a person or entity, past or present.
- Upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any content or initiate communications which include information that you do not have the right to disclose or make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as insider information, or proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements).
- Upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any content or initiate communication that infringes upon patents, trademarks, trade secrets, copyrights or other proprietary rights.
- Upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising, promotional materials, “junk mail,” “spam,” “chain letters,” “pyramid schemes,” or any other form of solicitation.
- Upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment.
- Stalk or harass anyone.
- Forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any communication transmitted through the Plant Database service.
- Post content in fields that are not intended for that content. Example: Putting an address or someone's name in a plant comment or name field.
- Interfere with or disrupt the Plant Database service or servers or networks connected to the Plant Database service, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations connected to the Plant Database service.
Recognising the global nature of the Internet, you agree to comply with all applicable local rules including but not limited to rules regarding online conduct and acceptable content. Specifically, you agree to comply with all applicable laws regarding the transmission of technical data exported from Ireland or the country in which you reside.
You agree that all images uploaded satisfy the conditions as outlined in the User conduct section above and that Plant Database has the right to publish those images on the web site for a minimum of five years. After five years you may ask for them to be deleted. This is to maintain a continuity of service to users who expect to return to the site to see the same, or similar, content again and again over a long period of time. Plant Database Ltd. reserves the right to remove or refuse any image uploaded. Image copyright remains with the user account that uploaded it at all times. If you find that your images have been copied from this web site and used without your permission please inform us so that we can take further action.
We use third-party advertising companies to serve ads when you visit plantdatabase.THIS_TLD. These advertisements are delivered based on the content of this web site and enable us to provide this service free of charge to all users.
Description of service
Plant Database is an online service offered to enable people to share their knowledge and images of plants in an organised moderated environment.
Anyone of any age may create a user account. You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password and account, and are fully responsible for all activities that occur under your password or account with or without your knowledge. If you knowingly provide your login and password information to another person, your account privileges may be suspended temporarily or terminated. You agree to immediately notify Plant Database of any unauthorised use of your password or account or any other breach of security. Plant Database Ltd. cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with this section.
Multiple accounts are allowed for business or personal use, however the site will not register the same screen name or e-mail address more than once. The site does not support the permanent removal of any accounts, even when users state that they no longer wish to access the site. This is for two reasons:
- To trace erroneous information associated with that account in the future.
- To be able to verify whether an account existed in the past with the same screen name or e-mail address.
Your Email Address
Your email address will not be shared with a third-party, and you will not receive unsolicited emails from us.
You agree that Plant Database Ltd. may, with or without cause, immediately lock your Plant Database Ltd. account and access to the Plant Database web site without prior notice. Without limiting the foregoing, the following will lead to the locking of a Plant Database user’s account:
- Requests by law enforcement or other government agencies
- A request by you (self-initiated account locking)
- Unexpected technical issues or problems
Furthermore, you agree that all account locking shall be made in Plant Database Ltd.’s sole discretion and that Plant Database Ltd. shall not be liable to you nor any third-party for any locking of your account or access to the Plant Database web site.
Information provided on this web site
See the Disclaimer regarding information on this web site.
Access to service
Use of manual or automated software, devices, or other processes to “crawl” or “spider” any web pages contained in the Plant Database website is strictly prohibited. You agree not to monitor or copy, or allow others to monitor or copy, our web pages or the content included herein. You also agree not to “frame” or otherwise simulate the appearance or function of this website. Furthermore, you agree not to take any action that interferes with the proper working of or places an unreasonable load on our infrastructure, including but not limited to unsolicited communications, attempts to gain unauthorised access, or transmission or activation of computer viruses.
Plant Database communications
In the course of providing you services, Plant Database may need to communicate with you via email. You agree to receive emails which are specific to your account and necessary for the normal functioning of the Plant Database web site, including a series of welcome emails.
Monitoring and enforcement
While we have the right to monitor activity and content associated with the Plant Database web site, we are not obligated to do so. And since we do not, and may not have the ability to, control or actively monitor content we do not guarantee its accuracy, integrity or quality. Because community standards vary and individuals sometimes choose not to comply with our policies and practices, in the process of using our website, you may be exposed to content that you find offensive or objectionable. Please report abuse using the supplied form at the top of every page.
We may investigate the complaints and violations of our policies that come to our attention and may take any action that we believe is appropriate, including, but not limited to issuing warnings, removing the content or locking accounts. However, because situations and interpretations vary, we also reserve the right not to take any action. Under no circumstances will we be liable in any way for any content, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any content, or any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of, access to, or denial of access to any content on the website.
A plant note supplements the automated plant description. By uploading a plant note to the site you agree that Plant Database has the right to amend the description. It must be referenced if the information is an enternal source. Footnotes may also be added to give additional information.
Forum and Plant comments
Information written in the Forum or added as comments to plants may be used by Plant Database to further enhance a plant profile.
- Your use of the Plant Database web site.
- Unauthorised access to or alteration of your communications with or through the Plant Database web site.
- Any other matter relating to the Plant Database web site.
Plant Database Limited Head Office,
8 Cameron Square,
Helenium is called 'Sneezeweed', not because it's pollen causes sneezing, but because the crushed leaves were used as snuff.
- Suggest your own Tidbit